RSS Feed

The striped baby pants

August 10, 2014 by sigrid

Baby pants

This is the most frustrating and the most rewarding project I have worked on for a long time. I am extremely pleased with the FO, but I have seldom cursed this much while working on a project.

The pants are knitted from the bottom up and, I have to admit, a bit of a challenge in the beginning. The holes for the legs are knitted one at a time, then put together on a circular needle. And that is when the cursing started. It was quite tricky to knit this part in around, because of the way the project on this point was kind of shaped like a figure eight. But I told myself the frustration would pass as the stitch count grew. And I was right, it did. The rest of the project I really enjoyed knitting.

IMGP1693

I especially liked the details on these pants. The shoulder straps is designed so the seam is invisible while the garment is worn. Also the hem (shown on picture above) gives the pants kind of a waistband, that will keep this part closer to the wearers body (waist).

IMGP1691

The pattern did not ask for more than one color, but I had some waist yarn from the time I knitted a 50s jumper for my sister, and decided to make stripes. This is a gift for a baby that is still not born, and the parents did not want to know the sex before the baby is born, so I wanted a gender neutral garment. Both in color and shape. I made it to fit a 9 mnd old baby. Since the pants are knitted in alpaca (I used Garnstudio DROPS Alpaca), I don’t think this garment is suitable for younger babies.

The pattern is from this book:

Strikk-til-smaarollinger_hd_image

You will find the designers blog here. This is a very nice book, but unfortunately i do not think is has been translated to English yet. The designers are two sisters, and their inspiration is mostly clothes from the 60s and 70s.


No Comments »

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>